TwoGroove.com - Musical Musings

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Past, Present, Future: Tori Sparks

brown-shawl-1

Much like The Scarlets, Tori Sparks' music seems new but familiar at the same time. Her combination of smoky, sultry vocals and instrumental variety have been tried by many others; I'm here to tell you that Tori succeeds where they fall short. Check out the music in the little player below.

Basic Information

Members/Instruments: Steel and Gut String Guitars, Vocals. A rotating cast of characters plays upright and electric bass, drums, percussion, guitar, banjo, mandolin, accordion, violin, cello, steel, horns, and more…

Year Formed: 2004

1.Past: What is your musical background? What has led you to this point?
I was born in Chicago and grew up in Florida. I played cello and piano when I was younger, but eventually switched to guitar. I started played shows when I was a student at Florida State, and while still in college I signed a recording contract with a small label based in Nashville. I’d already recorded an EP on my own, but the album I worked on with them was the first full-length record. They didn’t really release the album, per se – long story – and I luckily escaped what was a pretty bad deal. I stayed in Nashville because everyone I worked with was here, my band is here, and it’s an easy city to tour our of. I started touring heavily on my own, and have since been lucky enough to play all over the States and overseas.

2.Present: Where are you at now in your career? What are you currently working on?
After splitting with the label, I started my own record label and publishing company, and released the next album Under This Yellow Sun on my own. I’ve been lucky in that the album has had some success – lots of good press, college radio play, and a few bigger opportunities. The single “Cold War” was on the Paste New Music Sampler, and released on a compilation in Europe that has sold 30,000+ copies. I toured a lot, as usual, in support of that record while working on songs for the next one. I’m in the studio working on it now.

3.Future: What’s coming up for you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’m in the process of recording my third album, The Scorpion in the Story. It’s a concept album about people’s tendency to act according to their natures – each song is a “story” about someone I met while on the road last year. It’s been a lot of fun to work on, it feels like a collection of characters all slowly coming to life. It’s almost like writing a book of short stories. This album is more adventurous, musically, than the last one, and featured some really amazing guest musicians. I’ll be releasing that album in June on Glass Mountain Records. I’ll be touring and would like to continue giving more guest lectures. That’s been very rewarding, and finally having a college booking agent has made those easier to come by.

In the near future, I’ll be performing at Folk Alliance in Memphis and be playing a number of shows in Austin and in other parts of Texas during SXSW.sitwellscincy1

4.Where can people find more of your music?
The internet is a great source, instant gratification. All of my albums can be found on iTunes and other download services, as well as on my website (ToriSparks.com), CDBaby.com, BestBuy.com, Target.com, Amazon.com, and many other websites. Certain Borders Books and Music stores carry physical copies of the CDs, as do a number of independent record stores around the country.

5.Anything you’d like to plug?
Mostly the new album! It will be released in June, and I’ll be touring heavily in the second half of 2009 and through all of 2010. Hope to see everyone on the road.


Tori%20Sparks
Quantcast

No comments:

TwoGroove: Musical Musings

Submit your EPK Blog Directory