TwoGroove.com - Musical Musings

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Past, Present, Future: Daniela Nardi

Daniela NardiThere is a reason that Daniela Nardi is being nominated for Best Female Jazz Vocalist at the Canadian Smooth Jazz Awards this year. Check out our interview with her below!



1. Past: What is your musical background? What has led you to this point?

I asked my mom for piano lessons when I was a kid because I loved Donny Osmand. So from the age of 5, I was taking piano lessons through the Royal Conservatory here in Toronto. As the years went on, pop music started to evolve - along with my tastes. When I was 13 years of age, I saw The Police perform on Top of the Pops and I felt like I was watching the Messiah. I was mesmerized by the songs, by the voice, by the band. From that day, I knew what I wanted to do with my life - be a songwriter.

From that point on, I played in various bands from punk to pop to country to latin. Anything I could do to work on my chops. By this point I had learned to play bass guitar and was using the piano primarily as a writing instrument.

I was in a band that would have led me down the rock star path. We were close to be signed to a big label in the States. This was when I was 16. But the boys in the band (who were much older) thought I was too young to be on the road and lead that kind of life, so they kicked me out. Devastated as I was, I left music for 5 years. I worked various jobs even worked on getting my real estate license (which I do have). But the bug was still in me. Can't deny what is in the soul.

I went back to school, went to university and did my degree in music. Once I graduated I worked again in various bands and also worked as a composer for a few independent films. But that wasn't enough. I had to get my music out there. I embarked on my solo career in 2000 and haven't looked back.

2. Present: Where are you at now in your career? What are you currently working on?

I recently released my second album entitled The Rose Tattoo after a four year hiatus. My mother was diagnosed with cancer four years ago so, I dropped everything to take care of her.

At the moment I am working on promotion and marketing for the record and getting some live dates together as well. We just released a video for the song "Dear EM", the record is being played on various radio throughout the world. We have had some good response in France, Germany, Netherlands and Australia so, I am looking to pursue those markets.

3. Future: What’s coming up for you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Though I am working on the promotion for this record, I am already in "thinking mode" for the next one. I am mulling around ideas of where I'd like the next record to go. I think that some electronic elements will still remain but I'd like to explore more acoustic, raw sounds, more space. I have some working titles, but I am a bit superstitious so I don't want to reveal too much too soon! But I will say that I'd like to explore more world sounds again, maybe more South Asian, sounds of India, I'd like to use the voice more, come off the piano, relinquish that role and just focus more on the voice. As for the writing, I'd like to cut right to the bone, try to open myself up more and make myself more vulnerable than I have been. I think it's time for more honesty in music. Back to what's real!

As for 5 years from now, I hope to be able to continue making records and grow as an artist, expand my audience globally. Be able to have a self sustaining independent label and production company for my music and for my husband's music (Ron Davis www.rondavismusic.com). But not only musically, I hope to be able to be a mother as well. A working mom! That'd be cool!

4. Where can people find more of your music?

My music can be bought from my website www.danielanardi.com as well on iTunes.

5. Anything you’d like to plug?

I have been nominated for Best Female Vocalist at the Canadian Smooth Jazz Awards to be held on April 24th, here in Toronto. The winners are chosen by popular vote so that means - YOU! Anyone from anywhere in the world can vote so you can go online to www.canadiansmoothjazzawards.com and vote for me.

Us independent artists really need the help and support of our audiences. We can't do it without you. Without label support, we're pretty much cranking the wheel on our own. So, having your helping hand is really appreciated. It's about community. We all have a part in getting the music out there. Me as the artist, you as the audience, us as the community.


Daniela%20Nardi

Quantcast

No comments:

TwoGroove: Musical Musings

Submit your EPK Blog Directory