TwoGroove.com - Musical Musings

Monday, December 15, 2008

Publicity

Today, I signed a publicity deal with Joe Rae of Hard Pressed Publicity to help promote Frantic Clam. The band has progressed in leaps and bounds since I started working with them, and in no way am I attributing that to me. The guys have a singular focus and work to get there. A lot of the bands I see are great musicians but don't strive to work on the business side of things.

The Austin music scene is funny. A few booking agents hold a lot of power. Some of them are very nice and pleasant to work with while others let that power go to their heads. The supply of musicians willing to play for free is so great that the booking people are gatekeepers stemming the tide of bands. I've had good dealings with them, but I can see them cringe when I mention that I am a band's "manager". Too many bad connotations with that word, I guess.

Check out Focus Group. They have a very interesting sound and put on a good show. I recommend you check them out live; it's hard to get a good feel for the music and their surreal style. They just released their latest EP. I tried to make it to the release at Lamberts last weekend, but got stuck at a "calendar release party" that was lacking in both calendars and partying. It was fun, regardless.

No comments:

TwoGroove: Musical Musings

Submit your EPK Blog Directory