TwoGroove.com - Musical Musings

Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Holidays!

A week or so ago, I signed on to manage a third band, Rook. They played along with Bottle Service last night at Creekside Lounge. Listening to Rook. on Myspace and seeing them live are definitely two different experiences. I knew that I liked the music, but they put on a great show with a lot of energy. There were 20 or so people there with another 50 or more outside (of course, those outside were grooving to the DJ) and Rook. played like it was the Erwin Center.

I was impressed with the fact that all three members of the band add their vocals to most songs. Rook. is a power trio, but for once it doesn't just mean a guitar, bass, and drums. All three members are showmen, multitalented, and bring a sense of power to their show. I'm really looking forward to working with them.

All three bands I manage are facing similar issues despite the fact they are at different stages of their development. The problem of market saturation exists in Austin, so standing out requires a great deal of talent, creativity, connections, and/or money. It would be great if the music stood alone and the best music rose to the top. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Bands need to understand and work on the business side as much as they need to practice. I guess that's where guys like me that can't play a lick come in.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus! For all you late gift-getters, you can always grab a shirt...just sayin'.

No comments:

TwoGroove: Musical Musings

Submit your EPK Blog Directory